Part-Time Circulation Clerk
Circulation Clerk (on-call/part-time)
Atchison Public Library
The Atchison Library is looking for friendly and outgoing people who like working with the public and lots of activity! If you enjoy working with all ages, craft supplies, and technology in bustling, noisy places, we’d like to hear from you! The circulation clerk plays an important role as a front-line customer service representative. They will answer phones, help library patrons find books and DVDs, answer reference questions, shelve library materials, and help set up for events and programs. Libraries are more about technology than ever, and we need someone who enjoys fulfilling the information needs of readers and non-readers alike. This is an entry-level support position with hours in both the adult and children's departments.
Candidates must be able to work some evenings and Saturdays, preference will be given to those with the most availability. The hours will vary with a maximum of 19 hours per week.
$7.65/hr, no additional benefits
- Check library materials in and out using the library’s automated circulation system.
- Renew and place holds on library materials, route interlibrary loan requests, collect and record fines and fees, empty bookdrops.
- Answer phones and respond to patrons’ requests.
- Shelve books, DVDs, newspapers, and magazines.
- Prepare craft materials for storytime, help process new library materials
- Provide reference services using print materials, websites, and the library’s online catalog.
- Assist patrons with logging onto desktop computers and laptops. Must be able to troubleshoot basic technical problems.
- Help maintain a friendly, cheerful library atmosphere.
- Keep library main areas clean and free of clutter
- Be able handle difficult situations professionally and tactfully
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements, Qualifications, and Education
- Must attach a Letter of Interest in the “Additional Information” section of the application or email to email@example.com
- Must attach a Resume, including 3 references in the "Additional Information" section of the applicaiton or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Should be familiar with the Dewey Decimal System
- Must be proficient with basic office equipment, computers, and software (desktop and laptop computers, navigating the internet, phones, cash register, photocopier, fax, online library catalog, scanner, email, Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, and USB flash drives/data storage devices)
- Must be interested in and comfortable with using tablet computers, e-readers, e-books, smartphones, and other mobile devices
- Must have the ability to troubleshoot basic problems on desktop and laptop computers, as well as mobile devices
- Must have excellent communication (writing and speaking) skills
- Must be friendly, helpful, and have a positive attitude. Must enjoy working with people and have a “yes” mindset when approaching customer service
- Must be a team player and comfortable with dealing with difficult situations
- This is a position with physical demands. Must be able to stand, bend, stretch, stoop, and sit for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift heavy objects and have the ability to hear
- Genuine interest in the service role the public library plays within the community
- Must be at least 16 years of age or older
- Preference given to those with the combination of skills, experience, and education that best fit the needs of this position
- Job-related physical, background check, and drug screening may be required upon offer of employment
How to Apply
Applications only accepted through www.hrepartners.com