History of Atchison Library
The Atchison Library was established on April 23, 1879, in two upstairs rooms in the 600 block of Commercial Street. The doors opened to patrons on November 21, 1879. In 1921, the Congregational Church gave the present building, constructed in 1896, to the Library Association. Using funds from the Muchnic family, the upstairs was remodeled and in 1956 the Children’s Library was added in the basement. The library was converted from a privately operated institution to a public library by a referendum for tax support in 1958. A major addition was added in 1985, increasing the sq. footage to just over 16,000 sq. feet.
Who we are today
Our Mission Statement
Atchison Library: The place and the space for the community to engage, learn, and grow.